This post has been delayed quite a few times…because this salad is so yummy that I end up eating it before I can take a pretty picture. Also, it doesn’t photograph well but let’s not hold it against the poor salad. Looks aren’t everything!
So, if you know me, you know I try not to use any bottled sauces, except Sriracha-you’ll have to pry that from my dead hands. I also hate super sweet savory dishes. I like sugar, but in a dessert, not a salad. So, I think this salad is still under construction, I keep finding ways to make it better but I don’t want to keep it to myself because this soy free, vegan, sugar free, peanut free pomelo salad is delicious and it’s the perfect lunch for these hot Dubai afternoons! This salad takes minutes to make and tastes even better the next day. I used a combo of almond butter and tahini but feel free to use all of one nut butter or peanut butter.
1 pomelo, peeled and shredded
1-2 Limes, juiced (depending on size and your preference)
1 T Tahini
1 T almond butter
1/4-1/2 cup Coconut milk
2 cloves garlic
1-2 Thai green chilis, chopped
1 small red onion, slivered
1/2 cup desiccated coconut, dry toasted in a pan for a few minutes until golden and aromatic
Salt, to taste
- Put pomelo in a large bowl
- Mix lime juice, nut butters, coconut milk, and garlic to desired consistency
- Combine chilis,onion, and dried or desiccated coconut with pomelo and stir
- Pour dressing and combine well
- Top with salt, cilantro, and extra lime if needed
- You can add some hot sauce on top if desired (like sriracha).